Monday, October 3, 2011

Bieber or Die

Here is a quick list of funny things I've noticed in my first week in France.

- I could be walking around campus, or on the train, or sitting in my room looking out my window. Eventually, I will see someone carrying around a baguette.

- My professor brought some goat cheese to a picnic. Apparently, different regions in France are known for different cheeses. Lille is known for its goat cheese. It smelled horrible, but it was tasty!

- A lot of engineers here don't look you in the eye either.

- Hygiene is not a top priority for some people.

- People wear scarves at all times of the day during all kinds of weather. It could be 70 F (21 C!) outside and people will still have their silly little scarves. (I went to a mall the other day, and scarves are cheap! I'm pretty sure I want to buy a few.)

- People here like cheesy American music. I heard Creed playing at said mall. Then I heard "Mr. Mister - Take These Broken Wings" at the grocery store and it made everything okay.

- I updated my twitter to show trends in France. The first thing I noticed trending was "BIEBER OR DIE".

- FORTRAN is a weird-ass language.

- I've gotten stopped on the street multiple times by people asking for directions. They go off in French and I kindly tell them I don't speak French. Do I really look all that French?

- There are hot air balloons that fly every so often outside my window. I need to figure out how to get on one of them.

- There aren't many lights around my building, so you can see the stars really clearly at night. It's nice.

Also, I stayed up watching the Seahawks game. They put up a good fight!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've been updating your blog!

    Couple comments:

    I'm sure "BIEBER OR DIE" is a trend everywhere. How can you resist the Biebs? Selena Gomez can't. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kffacxfA7G4

    It seems like the French are only a few steps away from being a colony of Hipsters. Wearing scarves all the time?! Be careful, Eg. You too may turn into a French hipster. :)

    Buy a hot air balloon and come visit Seattle.

    Lastly, glad to hear you're representing Seattle even in France!

    PS While writing this comment, I was listening to "Baby"...I'm not gonna lie, I like that song.

    ReplyDelete