Monday, April 1, 2013

I'm Sorry, I Don't Speak English


I "finished" with school! And by "finished," I actually mean not finished at all. I completed my classes, but I officially start my thesis work tomorrow. Even with all this work to do, I made sure to plan some time to travel. I went to Dublin, Glasgow, and finished in Manchester.

Dublin is a really fun place! It seems that every night the locals go to bars and get quite loopy. Don't they work the next day? I witnessed a grown Irishman perform a headstand, and then proceed to chug a Guinness while still on his head. Of course I went to the Guinness Storehouse. It turns out it takes ~2 minutes to pour a proper pint.

I have fallen in love with Glasgow. Glasgow feels like a long lost uncle to Seattle. A fancy uncle who is into pretty architecture and scotch. I didn't think it was possible, but I found a university that is on par with the University of Washington in terms of aesthetics. It's the University of Glasgow. Glasgow has a similar music scene to Seattle, it seems. I went to some random show in the basement of a bar and ran into these fine gentlemen. Oh Glasgow, I wish I had known about you earlier.

I learned that people from Manchester are called "Manc," but the word "mank" can also mean disgusting. Well that is just daft! The people are very friendly, and the city is quite nice. There are lots of pubs, cafés, and an entire mile of Indian food. Also, the city that Karl Pilkington comes from can't possibly be bad. I have no idea why The Smiths were so miserable, but thank goodness they were.

Cheeky Oscar Wilde is cheeky

Infamous Guinness harp

Glasgow Cathedral

University of Glasgow

Isn't this just the most picturesque landscape of all time?

Manchester

John Rylands Library

Manchester Cathedral

No comments:

Post a Comment