Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Living Two Lives is Exhausting

Bonne Année!

I went to London! It was bloody spectacular! I remember the first night I got into London, I went walking around at night. As I was walking, I just started smiling. Something about London...the smell in the air? The look of the old architecture? The funny accents that are heard? I have no idea, but I liked it. I walked on bridges that are older than my country, I spoke with kind English gentlemen, I climbed to the top of a pretty church, and I rode the slowest moving ferris wheel I've ever ridden (with the greatest view also)! I definitely need to go back.

I went back to Seattle for Christmas. I didn't realize how much I missed Seattle until I was actually back there. My first morning back, I decided to go out for breakfast. I step outside, and there is the tiniest, quietest drizzle. On the way to the breakfast place I see a farmer's market being set up. When I get in, I am instantly greeted by a hipster waitress. There is Band of Horses playing on the radio. I sit down and order myself a cup of Stumptown coffee. There is a Chinese family (not too FOB-ish!) having breakfast at the far booth, and a gay biker couple sitting to my left. I look outside the window and I see people outside walking their dogs. All things Seattle, all things wonderful. I decide right then and there: I belong here. Sure, I'm off studying in France for a while and traveling around; but there is no place like Seattle.

When I first came to France, I was a little freaked out because it felt like I was just this selfish guy going off doing whatever I want with no regard for anyone. I was just leaving everything and everyone behind. Except since I came back, I realized that I didn't actually leave anything behind. All the people and places I knew and loved are still there. A few things changed a bit and that's okay, but they're all pretty much the same. Even visiting my hometown (which shall remain nameless) was nice. So to all my friends and family: thank you for putting up with this selfish little adventure of mine. Thanks for being there when I come back. Seriously.

My New Year's resolution last year was to take more risks and to make more mistakes (partly inspired by a good friend). I think I've lived up to it pretty well and learned a lot from it. So here's to 2012! May your year be as fun/beautiful/terrifying/random/memorable/enlightening as I hope mine is!

2 comments:

  1. I'm living a double life too Eggo!! Let's be secret agent/asian men together where we do our dirty work outside of WA and then go back home to our nice drizzly lives. There's no place like Seattle and there are no friends like my Seattle friends. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, man. Good to hear that there is a place to anchor you. Not so sure I can say the same about my life.

    ReplyDelete